Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The definition of change

Webster's defines change in multiple ways. To make the form, content, nature, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.

Technology has dramatically changed our lives and most of us did not have any input on when and where this change would occur. Our TVs are better, our cars are better, our computers certainly are better. Everything that has a micro-chip of some sort runs faster, jumps higher, does more for less etc. Instead of writing a check most of us whisk the money we pay for things from our bank account to the sellers bank account in the blink of an eye and never think twice about it? We change our clothes, our oil, our hair style, the channel, the filter, the Presdient, the Congress and thousands of other things day in and day out!

When we change things, we usually do it to improve something. We certainly don't intend to change for the worse. Can you imagine telling your spouse, "let's change our favorite restaurant. This one is good and I really enjoy it, but it is awfully dependable and the food is good. Let's find something not quite so dependable and maybe a little more expensive." Your spouse would look at you like you had lost your mind.

We accept change every day without a second thought if the change is made for us. If some sales person like oh say.....me calls, heaven forbid that the person on the other end of the phone would consider changing. I hear "I have all that covered thank you very much! Everything is good and I don't want to try and make it better." I really had a guy tell me that the other day. I don't have time to try and improve. REALLY he said that! After a pause on my part that seemed like an eternity, I said thank you, hung up the phone and slammed my hand in the drawer just to make sure I was not dreaming. I do have time to improve. If you stop getting better, you will stop being good.

Some of the best things I have ever bought I changed from something I loved to something I loved even more! In any aspect of your life or business the object surely should be to make things better and that after all will require change!

I invite your coments!

Have a winning day!

No comments:

Post a Comment